Saturday, August 16, 2014

Quilt Shot Block #25~ Stack & Slashet

        I thought this method was called "Stack & Wack," but everything I saw on I You Tube showed that method produced a kaleidoscope effect. Some called this method "Stack & Slash."  That method was used to make quilt size blocks of 10 or more inches.  I decided to make a mini 4 inch version to combine to make one 12 inch block.  So I'm calling it "Stack and Slashet."


     While in Ohio a few weeks ago, we stopped at a Saturday Flea market and I purchased a large bag of vintage cloth scraps for $1.  Some pieces weren't large, but big enough to cut a 5 ½ inch square. The yellow & green piece next to it, I've had for years since my girls were toddlers.



Stack the squares and slash somewhere.







Take the top piece of the right section & place in back.

Sew pieces together in order as they now lay.





Iron, stack and slash somewhere again.













Move top piece of right section to back.

Sew sections together as they lay.









Iron, stack, rotate 180º, and slash the upper corner somewhere.







Move top piece of upper piece to back.








Iron, stack & rotate 90º.
At this point I wished I had just slashed all pieces at the beginning instead of one at a time.  So I slashed twice somewhere. 
After moving pieces to back, sew together.

 Finished "Stack & Slashets"
 Trim to 4½ inch squares.
 Lay out to suit your fancy in 9 patch order and sew together.

**********************************
Thanks to the FREE programs:
possibly used for this post
GIMP for cropping & other digital effects
 Photoscape for downsizing & watermarking photo
PicMonkey creating collages used on this page

3 comments:

  1. too neat! what a fun square and you know, i have tons of scraps!! Great buy on the $1.00 scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very clever, but I would probably get confused matching up all the pieces and rotating them. Good thing I can't sew so I won't have to worry about it, lol. ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like someone is laying under the quilt already! Fun process!
    Hugs


    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.