Monday, March 10, 2014

Ribbon Oraganization ~ A Recycling Tip

 
     Today I had planned to make a label for a project and start some doll clothes.  I first had to clean up from a 1:30 a.m. conclusion in the sewing room last Saturday night.  I got the table cleared, and then for some reason, out of no need, I opened the ribbon drawer. Then for some reason, out of no need, I took a few pieces of ribbon & binding and wrapped them around an old envelope that already housed a few other ribbons.  The envelope with wrapped ribbon was from sometime back in the 80's or 90's. I figured back on that day, an old envelope just happened to be laying around and I grabbed it to keep the ribbon from being untangled while storing away.
      I quickly realized how much space this idea released, and out of need, I went and raided my recycling bin for some old envelopes.
      Then I got busy on this....
......... and this....
Some ribbons were in large amounts so I did this....
.... and some ribbons were very bulky, so I did this.....
    A whole afternoon was eventually spent on what ended up being out of need to fix my cluttered ribbon drawer problem and resulted in this....
Doesn't it feel good to have a productive afternoon even when it wasn't what you had planned to get done?
Now I've become acquainted with some ribbons, bindings and lace I didn't realize I had, because I had purchased the bags at yard sales and second had stores and had not gone through them until now.

Best of all, when out of need for a ribbon, I don't have to go digging in gallon size bags, but rather it will be VERY easy to find and won't be wrinkled or tangled.
Now a question for you. I did use narrow masking tape and pins to hold ends together.  I'm not crazy about either of those, because tape leaves a residue, painter's tape doesn't hold long and pins will rust over a period of time.  Out of need for a solution, I'd like to hear from you. Do you have a solution?


**********************************
Shared this idea on Sewlicious Home Decor where you can find several more craft room organizing ideas.
Thanks to the FREE programs:
possibly used for this post
GIMP for cropping & other digital effects
 Photoscape for downsizing & watermarking photo
PicMonkey creating collages used on this page


14 comments:

  1. You have a lot of different ribbons, wrapping gifts must be so much fun at your house! I really like how organised your drawers are now and all thanks to some unwanted stationery, even better! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need an organised drawer like this in my life! Well done!

    Gayle x
    http://makethriftlovelife.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am lovin' your organization! This is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good job on organizing. Mine are all stuffed into a box but I don't have as much as you do and they all fit in there on their original spools. I always use a pin to keep the end down but sometimes I can actually see the hole in the ribbon from where the pin was

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on the organizing and it does make it easier to find stuff! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  6. What about using a plastic-coated paper clip?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job. I am organizing my new sewing room closet. That is the sewing room in a closet. Can you imagine. But it's better than not having one. I am having to be very clever in getting it all in and still have room to work. LOL. I love your idea.
    I cam by from Katherine's link. I enjoyed visiting. Come see me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this idea. I am organizing my sewing room in a closet. It is a challenge. I live this idea.
    Thanks for sharing. I came over from Katherine's linky. Come see me.
    Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea! I have lots of ribbon in a box. Thanks for linking up to Tips and Tricks. Kathleen @ Fearlessly Creative Mammas

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your tutorial on organizing your ribbon...it came out great.
    Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea Joy, it looks gorgeous. I list organizing my craft stuff as one of my hobbies, lol. I use rubber bands (gum bands in some states) for everything. I keep mine on the rolls, I have my rolls on dowels I had my DH fabricate for me with 5 dowels standing on a 2" wide platform, then I stack the ribbon up to the top of the dowels. I use different size rubber bands to hold them so they are not too tight and they dont wrinkle it or leave any marks. ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a difference, Joy... so much neater and you've freed up extra space. A clever idea. I use pins to fasten my ribbons.

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.