Monday, January 6, 2014

Bacon Time? Save Some Time

   
  I don't buy or eat as much bacon as I used to, because it has become the delicacy of the day$$$$$
     Who knew that one day bacon and chicken wings would be the most expensive meats?  When I do buy bacon, I prepare the entire package or at least part of it, and freeze the rest just so I don't have some to ruin if I don't eat it in time.

 I microwave the bacon. (update: roughly 1 min/thin slice) Less mess and easier to drain the grease.  I used to use that flavorful bacon fat in everything, because that's the tradition of my family background.  You either fried it, or put bacon grease in it.
For me, it is less mess to clean up afterwards when I prepare it in the microwave.
Don't have bacon spattered all over the stove top, back drop, counters, floor...well you name it.
          After the bacon is cooled, I store it in a zipper lock bag, and it stays in the frig for a couple of weeks. Then when I want a few crumbles on my salad, or scrambled eggs, I just grab a strip. For a BLT or with an egg for breakfast, I nuke a couple of strips for about 15 seconds. Now THAT saves me time. This idea is thanks to Dee Dee, one of my Mother's Caregivers.  Smart, I think.


*********************************
Sharing at several Linky Parties.  i.e Home Stories A to Z
Thanks to the FREE programs:

possibly used for this post

GIMP for cropping & other digital effects

 Photoscape for downsizing & watermarking photo

PicMonkey creating collages used on this page
 

6 comments:

  1. Great idea, Joy! I do bacon in a parchment lined pan in the oven at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes. No mess but you kinda have to watch it. About how long in the microwave?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question Dawn. Sorry I omitted that important detail. For the microwaves I've used, it normally takes about 1 minute per thin slice. So 5 slices would be 5 minutes. Sometimes I have to adjust for different bacon. Thick takes about a minute and half/slice.

      Delete
  2. You are making me hungry! I still make "flat potatoes" with bacon fat maybe once a year, they are sooo good and I add only a little of the fat, I balance it with olive oil so I don't feel too guilty. I also like to under cook it just a little and stick it in the freezer, it keeps well there and then only takes a few seconds to heat and cook up to the right wellness. ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Diane, do you freeze the bacon separately before you package it for the freezer? Sounds like even a better idea.

      Delete
  3. Hi, Joy! I saw this over at Snickerdoodle Sunday and came over to take a look! I love your idea and your NAME, lol! ;) You have a lovely blog. :)

    Love, Joy from Yesterfood

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love bacon (and bacon grease to flavor stuff) but lately have bought the HUGE pack of precooked from Costco and then nuke to warm up. It does save a ton of time to nuke and eat and less clean up. And it's tasty! Thanks for linking to Snickerdoodle Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.