Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Jelly Rolls of 6 Shirts


          I guess I'm just too old school to pay what I think is big money for someone to cut up perfectly good fabric into strips for quilts.  I learned about quilt piecing back when you made them from old clothes. Yes I'm dating myself.   That was the beauty of quilts.  Love bounced out of those quilts because they were made from things that had memories.  
          I guess jelly rolls, fat quarters, cakes etc. came out of the fact that fabric stores didn't like cutting off quarter & half yards as ladies did start buying fabric to make quilts.  And, while they are at it, they are going to charge for the labor of cutting up these good pieces of fabrics into smaller pieces, and rightly so.
           I've now deboned 6 more of Dad's shirts to start the second memory quilt.  These are my old fashioned jelly rolls.
 
I explained last month how I deboned a quilt into strips HERE. 
           Two small bags hold the remainder of the shirts which include collars, set of cuffs, button tabs & seam feltings.  I already have an idea for these leftovers.
           Yeah, before long I'll probably see a jelly roll that I'll fall in love with and buy the expensive thing.  Meanwhile, I'll be happy with these.
      Thanks to the FREE program
 Photoscape for downsizing & watermarking photo & other alterations to pictures.

Featured @ Fine Craft Guild

2 comments:

  1. I love this! I've been wondering for a while what "jelly rolls, fat quarters, cakes" were in regards to quilting and you helped fill in some of the holes. We are all about using what we have on hand, particularly fabrics to keep them out of the landfill and remake them into something useful again. And your phrase "Love bounced out of those quilts..." is very touching. Thank you for sharing at the #HomeMattersParty! Looking forward to seeing you back next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, i love this little insight, Joy. I had no idea, but OF COURSE, this is the history of it all. Yes, to me too, a quilt has be be a natural development of fabric remnants rather than a storebought jelly roll, although I think there are absolutely stunning fabrics sold that way.... I can't wait to see what you're going to make with these fabrics. I pinned you as I think this is great. It's so fun having you/your work & ideas in the party. I am grateful for your submissions to the SHARE IT sunday linky party. I sincerely hope you'll be following along. See you again next weekend! ~ Rose, http://www.finecraftguild.com

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.